Having problems starting your ministry? Begin here.
In hearing from many of our new ministers across the globe, the main question is “How do I share my faith”? Many of you chose to be ordained because you felt a call of God to help minister to the lost. But, once you get your credentials, you have a tough time getting started because you don’t know your next steps. This should help:
- Pray – As simple as that may seem, don’t forget to ask God for wisdom and His leading in your life. It is easy to rush from one situation to the other, depending on yesterday’s prayer. But just as you need food to survive throughout the day, you also need frequent prayer time to replenish your soul. You are a follower of Jesus Christ, so follow. Let Him Lead you to the places that He would have you go and remember to listen for the answers.
Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
- Study – In order to share the Word of God, you have to know The Word and Know God. That doesn’t mean you have to wait until you have training to share your testimony. You should absolutely do that as the Spirit leads you. But, you should also study the Word so that you are able to answer questions and have an ever growing understanding of who God is, and what His plans are. We should all be studying to know Jesus better until we meet Him face to face.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning. Proverbs 9:9
- Wait – Before you jump into a situation that you think should be God’s plan for your life, make sure that it is actually HIS PLAN for your life. A Godly plan doesn’t mean that it is God’s plan for you. Many ministers have gotten hurt and in bad situations because they jumped into doing something that they thought was a good idea, but God’s provision, favor and plan were not there. It is never a good thing. Waiting for clear instructions from God, and then moving quickly once you hear is the best path. In John 10:23-28, the Word says, ” My sheep know my voice, and another they will not follow” . Make sure that you are following God and not expecting Him to follow you.
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Psalms 32:8
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him. Isaiah 30:18
- Faith – If God has clearly given you a vision to help His people, and you can see His plan, and it has stuck with you day after day, week after week and in some cases year after year… Do it! Fear of failure, doubt and other devil inspired thoughts are only there to make God’s will for your life to be diminished. There are people that should be saved, based upon what God has shown you. If God be for you, who can be against you?
So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17
And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mark 11:22-24
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
- Stand – The thing about living in faith is that you have to stand on God’s promise, even when you may not see the thing you are believing for. That is what faith is all about. Stand on the Word. Stand in Faith. Just stand. Believe to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Be still, and know that I am God. Psalms 46:10
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
That your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:5
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
We’d love to hear from you. Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Want more resources?
Get funding resources, ministry tools, ceremony scripts and more in the CGOM Ministry Resource Center.